On 20/02/06, Hannah Schroeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 01:17:05PM +0000, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> >[...]
>
> >Yes, there is always some compromise. But in this specific case we
> >have much less than even a fifth of memory actually being used for
> >programmes and kernel etc. Some of the rest is used for cache, but it
> >still stops at around 3/4 or even 4/5 of the memory being wasted for
> >nothing.
>
> >We are not dealing here with a case of someone wanting to use the
> >remaining 64MB for disc cache on a 2GB server (assuming the rest of
> >memory being already utilised for cache): -- this is a case of a 512MB
> >machine behaving as if it was a 128MB one, not using the extra 3/4 of
> >available memory. I assume that even if I put the extra 1G in, the
> >proportion of wasted memory will only increase.
>
> If this is a common state of affairs, you can always raise the
> percentage of memory used for the buffer cache in the kernel, using
> config -e: config -e -o /bsd.new /bsd
> then the command
>          cachepct    [number]            Show/change BUFCACHEPERCENT
> helps. The default is 5, you could raise it to 10 or even more.

Thanks, I think this is indeed an option I was looking for (however,
it looks like I was looking for it in the wrong place -- `sysctl kern`
tree).

Although the documentation says that it defaults to 5%, it actually
seems to default to 10% on amd64, alpha, hppa and hppa64.

Why it's not made to default to 10% on i386 too if enough memory is available?

Also, it looks like "Filesystem Buffer" was in the FAQ in 2003-05-01
(http://www.se.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html), stating "option
BUFCACHEPERCENT=30" for config(8), but now it no longer appears in
today's version (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html). Is there a
reason for that?

> >And 512MB, I must add, is the de facto minimum today for any machine,
> >making this even lack of tune-up even more unacceptable.
>
> OpenBSD doesn't run only on i386/amd64, remember this. And until
> recently, my home machine still had 96 MB RAM.

True, I was making a generalisation to mean any modern PC/mac. :-) It
was almost a year ago that 512MB became the minimum even for most
entry models.

Cheers,
Constantine.