On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:15:37PM +0100, Simen Stavdal wrote:
| True, but issue was related to downloading over http, which is over tcp.
| So, if http is your only concern I would go for this option.
|
| Most clients are configured with an MTU of their physical NIC capabilities,
| and sometimes even with jumbo support.
| MTU is a property of the OS in both ends, while MSS is a property of the
| packets that can be adjusted in-flight.
|
| So, if you want to fix the MTU, you will have to configure that on the
| conversation parters and not in pf.
| So, while we agree on the principals, how do you suggest MTU is changed?

One interesting option that I recently discovered thanks to florian@
is the 'mtu'[1] setting in /etc/rad.conf on your IPv6 router.  By
lowering the MTU, packets had a smaller MSS, which aligned with the
MTU of the IPv6 tunnel I was using in that situation.  This, in turn,
allowed me to use software my bank has provided for my mobile device
over IPv6 without a problem.

Admittedly, after learning that this worked, I switched back to
scrubbing the MSS in pf.conf for this particular bank, and I've told
them to either stop filering ICMPv6 Packet Too Large errors or
restrict the MSS to a lower value on their end (as they said they were
doing) to fix this for all their users.  The effect of using 'mtu' in
rad(8) is a lower configured MTU on your SLAAC enabled clients,
affecting also IPv4 (and local IPv6) traffic.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

[1]: http://man.openbsd.org/rad.conf#mtu

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/