Hello Stuart,

thanks for your quick reply.

> On 2020-02-14, Peter Müller <peter.muel...@link38.eu> wrote:
>> Hello openbsd-misc,
>>
>> during some flaws in OpenIKED, I am forced to use strongSwan as an IPsec
>> client on an
>> OpenBSD 6.6 machine. While establishing an IKE_SA works fine, installing
>> policies for CHILD_SA
>> fails (as expected):
>>
>>> unable to install IPsec policies (SPD) in kernel
>>> failed to establish CHILD_SA, keeping IKE_SA
>>
>> To those who are running strongSwan as an IPsec client on OpenBSD: Which is
>> the best
>> procedure in this case? Are there other methods of installing IPsec policies
>> into the
>> kernel available?
>
> strongSwan's module to install policies to the kernel (kernel-pfkey) does
> not support OpenBSD without making code changes. Not impossible but hasn't
> been done. Only their userland setup that works with tun(4) devices
> (slightly confusingly called kernel-ipsec) is available.

Hm, after fiddling around for a while, I am a bit helpless on this. Do you
happen to have
some example configuration? If yes, I would be very grateful to see it. :-)

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

>> P.S.: In case anybody wonders about the "OpenIKED flaws", these are as
>> follows:
>> (a) Restarting single connections is not possible
>> (b) Dead Peer Detection is missing (I am aware of ifstated as a
>> "replacement", but since
>>     there seems to be no way of restarting a single IPsec connection,
>> restarting the whole
>>     iked daemon causes operational tunnels to crash)
>> (c) IKE is missing AES-GCM support (while ESP does - not sure why this is)
>> (d) Does not seem to support more than one private key
>
> (e) no client side address-config
> (f) doesn't work with intermediate certs

Glad you mention it. I was bumping into something similar already and wondered
why thinks
won't work...