On 28 Feb 2020, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 08:28:52AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >  I have a networked Brother-HL5350DN printer which has worked fine
> >  with CUPS for over a year. Two days ago it suddenly refused to
> >  print on my desktop running -current I reconfigured the printer
> >  several times without effect.
> >
> > I then set up CUPS on a laptop running -release. It also failed. In
> > both cases the printer appears on screen and I can queue jobs for
> > printing as normal but they don't print. The printer itself is
> > working normally from my wife's computer. I cam ping the printer
> > without difficulty.
> >
> > I turned on debug and found this:
> > [Job 30] Unable to locate printer \"BRN001BA92DB44A\"
> >
> > I'm mystified. Whenever I've set up the printer in CUPS previously
> > it has always worked. The only clue I found was on Arch Linux where
> > they talk about needing to set up avahi jn such cases, but I don't
> > know if that is relevant here.
> >
> > Any ideas gratefully received.
>
> Can you share your configuration?
> If it's a network printer, it could be that cups is trying to connect to your
> printer using avahi which doesn't work on OpenBSD.  You must make sure you
> configure your printer using hostname or IP.

I don't have any avahi daemon running. I have a static address for
the printer.

Here is my latest config file:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v2.3.1
# Written by cupsd on 2020-03-01 10:32
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
NextPrinterId 2
<DefaultPrinter Brother_HL-5350DN_series>
PrinterId 1
UUID urn:uuid:a7dada8a-a537-3188-7c98-35ec7bf5bccf
Info Brother_HL-5350DN_series
Location
MakeModel Brother HL-5350DN Foomatic/Postscript
DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.83
State Idle
StateTime 1583058733
ConfigTime 1583058632
Type 8433684
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
Attribute marker-colors \#000000,#000000,#000000
Attribute marker-levels -1,-1,54
Attribute marker-names Black Toner Cartridge,Black Toner Cartridge,Drum Unit
Attribute marker-types toner,toner,opc
Attribute marker-change-time 1583058733
</DefaultPrinter>

--