That is a rewriting of history.

The disklabel format predates the PC.

It came from the the ancient attempt to handle things in CSRG's
4.3reno/4.4 work on the hp300.  It was probably a rewrite of the
native HPUX disk format.

This was then put on all the other architectures, as a unified
view of the disk.  It was modified and extended on as as-needed
basis.

Rewriting the history like this is pathetic inaccurate and
narrowminded.  Your history is absolutely false and you've made
up a bunch of balony.  It is not true, and even a elementary
review of the history of disklabel.h back into the early NetBSD
tree will make it clear what's going on.

OH, and I did most of the early work post-CSRG, because we needed
to "emulate" this on SunOS, and I ported Torek's sparc code into
NetBSD.

I urge you to stop posting such balony.