mail.  Since I don't trust Google or pretty much any "free" provider at
this point, that means doing it myself.  Some steps (registering a
domain, ordering business-class service or a static IP, etc) are
self-evident.  But after that, there's a lot I really need to learn

Running your own inbound and outbound SMTP service on the public network is not
as easy today as it was 10+ years ago.  You need to play with SPF, eventually
DKIM and DMARC (and the many false-positives you get bounced back caused by
mailing-lists subject and signatures), leverage DNSRBL (real time blacklists),
ideally enforce STARTTLS and accept the fact that nobody cares about
certificate validation on that front.  Not mentioning having to deal with Gmail
and Microsoft's very agressive blacklists (up to the point where it seems to be
whitelists or at least reputation-based).

Same goes for DNS.  If you want to host your own, it's a whole new game now
with DNSSEC.