Hi Chris,

Chris Bennett wrote on Wed, May 20, 2020 at 02:07:27PM -0400:

> Do the work, a WIP is OK and submit a diff.

Not a bad idea, put your fingers where your mouth is!

> Please don't ask for features, once again.
> Really, I mean it. Don't ask for features!

I disagree.

About one third of the THANKS section of mandoc(1) release notes
typically consists of thanking people who asked for features.

Heck, i have even used presentations at international conferences
to thank people who asked for features.

As an example, i still fondly remember Paul Onyschuk's question
on August 9, 2014:

  "Are there any plans for providing a man(1) command also?  This
  would make mdocml a possible, standalone replacement for the groff
  and man-db combination (typical in Linux distributions)."

My first impulse was to reply "no, i dislike that idea".
Then i reconsidered, and less then three weeks later, it was done.
Nowadays, i could no longer imagine living without it.

For details, see pages 40-44 (marked SURPRISE TOPIC) of these slides:

  https://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsdcon2014-mandoc-slides.pdf

The "thank you" mention in particular is on page 43.

Yours,
  Ingo