> >  2. Figure out how to tell sysupgrade the right answers in advance i.e.
> >     via the auto_upgrade.conf mechanism
>
> This is fairly easy:
>
> sysupgrade -s -n
> vi /auto_upgrade.conf, edit "Pathname to the sets"
> reboot

FYI, or for the record, I just tried the above and it worked perfectly.
The sysupgrade ran automatically, found the sets, and here I am running:

kern.version=OpenBSD 6.8 (GENERIC.MP) #98: Sun Oct  4 18:13:26 MDT 2020
    dera...@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

There was just this one error towards the end, after the final reboot:
> Path to firmware: http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/6.8/
> Updating: intel-firmware-20200616v0 vmm-firmware-1.11.0p3
> inteldrm-firmware-20200421
> Checking for available binary patches...
> syspatch: Error retrieving
> https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/pub/OpenBSD/syspatch/6.8/amd64/SHA256.sig:
> 404 Not Found

And that is correct, there is no 6.8 directory under "syspatch".

Did I pick a bad week to give up smoking (airplane :)) and just happen
to hit the switch from Beta to Release? Or have I screwed up something
else?

A subsequent "pkg_add -vu" fails with a similar error:
"pub/OpenBSD/6.8/packages/amd64/: no such dir"

Night all & thanks again!
Robb.