Ok, so I need to apologize for wasting time here...
I was experimenting with an "automated upgrade" (driven from gprolog) that
went haywire... too many pots and just one kook.  So now I'm back to 6.7
and 6.6, variously ;^/  On a second(?third) run at it I got the sound working
for firefox but a lot of other stuff went sideways...  the machine that
baked is embarasingly old.

So, thanks, eh?  FWIW I'm attaching a 6.8 /dev/ listing where the sound worked
(it was installed on a USB...)

Dhu