Regarding youtube videos on chromium, I had the same problem on the
epiphany browser.  The solution in that case was to install optional
gstreamer packages.  I don't know if all of these are required:

gstreamer-0.10.36p13 framework for streaming media
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.13p16 ffmpeg element for GStreamer
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.36p19 base elements for GStreamer
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.31p26v0 good elements for GStreamer
gstreamer1-1.18.0   framework for streaming media
gstreamer1-plugins-base-1.18.0 base elements for GStreamer
gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.18.0 good elements for GStreamer
gstreamer1-plugins-libav-1.18.0 ffmpeg elements for GStreamer

Maybe chromium has the same issues.

Dave Raymond

--
David J. Raymond