On 03/12/2020 13:20, Steve Fairhead wrote:
There's also this, which I wrote to help a student (my daughter) understand netmasks and CIDR notation:

http://www.fivetrees.com/netmasks/netmasks.php

It's kinda fun to watch the bit patterns move around...

I can see from my logs that this has proven popular today. It was written as a bit of fun; it it's actually useful, please let me know if it's missing something, could use a new feature, or if you figure it's just plain wrong ;) .

Also: for me, CIDR is the only sane way to describe netmasks. There are 4,294,967,296 possible values for an IPV4 netmask, but just 33 (or fewer, depending on your level of pedantry) of these are valid.

Steve

          Steve Fairhead
fivetrees ltd - for the complete music service
   www: http://www.fivetrees.com