On Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 05:13:52PM +0100, Patrick Wildt wrote:
> Am Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 02:29:02PM +0000 schrieb Peter Kay:
> > There appear to be no 4G modem support at the moment, specifically a
> > mini PCI-e one so I can stick it in a PC engines apu4d4 and have a
> > backup connection.
> >
> > Presuming a driver would need to be written, but just checking if I've
> > missed anything?
>
> There's umb(4).  It supports USB's MBIM standard.  There are some MBIM
> compatible chips around, one for instance is this one:
>
> https://www.varia-store.com/de/produkt/87272-simcom-sim7600e-h-mpcie-eu-lte-cat-4-modul.html
>
> You'll probably need to switch it into MBIM mode once via a specific
> AT-command over the serial, but otherwise it should do.
>
> I'm sure there are plenty of other MBIM-compatible devices, this is just
> the one from the top of my head.

I have umb(4) working on an APU1 board. It's a Sierra Wireless EM7345, the one
shipped with x250 Thinkpads. Installation in an APU requires a compatible M.2
to miniPCIe adapter. Make sure to get an adapter with the correct M.2 keying.
If the vendor advertises GSM/UMTS/LTE modem support the adapter should work.
If they don't, better ask before buying.

This combo works fine in the middle miniPCIe slot of the APU. You'll need a
full size SIM card for the SIM card slot. Again, an adapter will help to fit
a micro or nano SIM.

You will also want LTE antennas and compatible pigtails. Using wifi antennas
will result in about 50% packet loss.