Maurice, Marcus, Steve

> Most use fdm from ports
> Best

Thanks for the tips on fdm.  I shall take a look!

Marcus:

> Regarding procmail beware of this:
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=151256201621939

Fascinating.  Never caught that discussion before. I gather a specially
crafted message could get control of the user's account, or at least it
would hard to prove that it couldn't.

I guess I can appreciate further, that since the mail system processes the
.forward file, that means a task with higher privileges than even the
user, has to deal with external world possibly garbage or infected input,
which could be unfriendly, and if the code base was designed without even
such a thought, and is unwieldy -- there was the incentive to do better.

Oh, but the years of fine tuning the procmail scripts....

> formail is not in the ports tree, afaict.

I probably just should have said only the package for procmail; formail
comes with it.  formail goes into the .forward file, and regularizes any
problems with the "From" email address, before handing off to procmail.
I guess that's somewhat a security enhancement.  Perhaps not enough.

Maybe formail isn't always used or was dropped in later version. I see a
comment from Steve (clipped below) that he doesn't use it. [Haven't yet
checked out his reference or absorbed it's implications yet. May comment
further, if I further retry procmail first, before learning fdm.]

> I use ~/Maildir
> Marcus

In your case, is that ~/Maildir (a file), or is it ~/Maildir/ a directory?

In my new install, not doing any mail sorting yet, Simple "Mail" seems to
put new mail into ~/mbox (the file) if not handled explicitly other than
looking at the subject lines -- even though it says (at run time)
something about putting it back into the user's mailbox -- which is
different wording from the documentation, and slightly confusing.

Alpine (not further configured) moves all new mail from /var/mail/*user*/
to ~/mbox (the file), soon as it is invoked.

Anyway those are clearly moot details for most folks now.

Thanks again, for the comments all!

Austin