aus...@computershop.ca (Austin Hook), 2021.01.30 (Sat) 10:52 (CET):
> Marcus:
>
> > Regarding procmail beware of this:
> > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=151256201621939
>
> Fascinating.  Never caught that discussion before. I gather a specially
> crafted message could get control of the user's account, or at least it
> would hard to prove that it couldn't.
>
> I guess I can appreciate further, that since the mail system processes the
> .forward file, that means a task with higher privileges than even the
> user, has to deal with external world possibly garbage or infected input,
> which could be unfriendly, and if the code base was designed without even
> such a thought, and is unwieldy -- there was the incentive to do better.
>
> Oh, but the years of fine tuning the procmail scripts....

oh yeah! and it gets even worse... sooner or later we might have to
switch to sieve[1] scripts. because that is what dovecot and everything
else understands. but it's standardized, as a plus.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_(mail_filtering_language)

> > formail is not in the ports tree, afaict.
> I probably just should have said only the package for procmail; formail
> comes with it.

I should have used pkg_locate(1) first...

> formail goes into the .forward file, and regularizes any
> problems with the "From" email address, before handing off to procmail.
> I guess that's somewhat a security enhancement.  Perhaps not enough.
>
> Maybe formail isn't always used or was dropped in later version. I see a
> comment from Steve (clipped below) that he doesn't use it. [Haven't yet
> checked out his reference or absorbed it's implications yet. May comment
> further, if I further retry procmail first, before learning fdm.]
>
> > I use ~/Maildir
>
> In your case, is that ~/Maildir (a file), or is it ~/Maildir/ a directory?

It is a directory, and a different way to store mail. see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir

> In my new install, not doing any mail sorting yet, Simple "Mail" seems to
> put new mail into ~/mbox (the file) if not handled explicitly other than
> looking at the subject lines -- even though it says (at run time)
> something about putting it back into the user's mailbox -- which is
> different wording from the documentation, and slightly confusing.

ha-ha, the second time within a couple of days that mail(1) interactive
use confuses people, including me :-)

> Alpine (not further configured) moves all new mail from /var/mail/*user*/
> to ~/mbox (the file), soon as it is invoked.

my gut feeling is that this historic behaviour is going extinct.

Marcus