On 2021-03-01, Raimo Niskanen <raimo+open...@erix.ericsson.se> wrote:
> Hi Misc!
>
> Unfortunately I do not have one clear question here, but I wonder if somebody
> could shed som light on some problems I have encountered on my PC Engines
> APU2.
>
> It runs OpenBSD 6.7 from a 32 GB mSATA SSD disk, and I would like to change
> the disk since it is a few years old now, so I buyed a 128 GB Kingston
> mSATA SSD, and an mSATA -> SATA adapter and put that combo in an USB 2
> external disk adapter.
>
> The disk showed up as a 4k sector disk, and after installing OpenBSD 6.7
> over USB over the mSATA-SATA adapter I plugged it in the internal mSATA
> connector, and it did not boot.

This is a problem with some USB-SATA adapters. See e.g.
https://www.klennet.com/notes/2018-04-14-usb-and-sector-size.aspx

> Much fumbling later it seems that when the disk is connected to the
> internal mSATA slot it is seen as a 512 bytes per sector disk.  I do not
> know what the BIOS thinks of it (factory SeaBIOS 1.10.something).  When I
> re-installed with the disk in the mSATA slot I got a bootable installation.
> Both fdisk and disklabel now says the disk has got 512 bytes per sector.
> (fdisk says nothing but for a 4k disk it should say it is a 4k disk)
>
> My old 32 GB mSATA disk is readable over the mSATA-SATA adapter USB adapter
> as a 512 bytes per sector disk.

You could try looking for a different adapter but at this point
I would probably install on the new drive (PXE boot or use another USB
drive to boot the installer), then copy files back from the old drive.

> So I am just curious about how to handle this disk.  I can install to it
> in the internal mSATA connector and read the old installation over the
> mSATA-SATA-USB-adapter.  But one day when I want to install to a new disk
> again, I will not be able to read from the disk in the mSATA-SATA-USB-adapter,
> so the next re-installation looks unpromising.

backup/restore over the network via another machine perhaps?

> Some more specific questions:
> * Would upgrading the BIOS be a good idea

yes but it won't help with this problem.
(https://github.com/pcengines/apu2-documentation/blob/master/docs/apu_CPU_boost.md)

> * Sould upgrading to OpenBSD 6.8 improve the situation

it won't.

> * How is the disk sector size determined, and can I affect that?

by the manufacturer.