On 3/8/21, Jean-Pierre de Villiers <jeanpie...@jeanpierredevilliers.xyz> wrote:
> Refer to sensorsd(8) and acpibat(4).  Given those and related manual
> pages I'm relatively certain you should be able to achieve this.

I did. acpibat(4) contains no information about how to use it. If I
understood correctly, it is simply a ACPI driver for batteries.

sensord(8) contains information about how to check the current battery
percentage, but I can't see how to _stop_ the battery from charging.
I also couldn't find an option in sysctl for this.

It might be worth mentioning that this feature is implemented in
hardware, not software. The software is needed to set the correct
thresholds in the Charging Controller hardware (firmware, maybe?).

> OpenBSD is well-known for its clear and extensive documentation so use
> this to your advantage.  The apropos(1) utility is your best friend :)
> Your second and third best friends are the FAQ and the mailing list
> archives.

Yep, I searched marc.info for half and hour. Couldn't find it. Maybe I
am doing something wrong? This is my first interaction with a mailing
list :P

I also searched the man pages using `apropos` and `man -k`, still
nothing. In fact, I had done all of these before posting here. :)

(If dera...@openbsd.org is listening... The first mail is very very
helpful! Thanks)

> I am working under the assumption that no proprietary blobs are
> necessary to accomplish your goal.  Otherwise, I am afraid you are out
> of luck as OpenBSD does not and never will contain any such blobs.
> They are "black boxes" and thus cannot be trusted.

I know that OpenBSD is against blobs. In fact, that's the main reason I
want to switch from linux to OBSD. I want to support Doctor Puffystein
rather than Blobby ;-)

(https://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#39 - for those who are wondering)