On 2021-03-10, Sivan ! <s9952403...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> /dev/sd2l      168G    5.2G    155G     3%    /home
> /dev/sd2d      3.9G    324M    3.4G     9%    /tmp
> /dev/sd2f      5.8G    5.1G    432M    92%    /usr
> /dev/sd2g      986M    239M    697M    26%    /usr/X11R6
> /dev/sd2h     19.4G    4.9G   13.5G    26%    /usr/local
> /dev/sd2k      5.8G    116M    5.4G     2%    /usr/obj
> /dev/sd2j      1.9G    2.0K    1.8G     0%    /usr/src
> /dev/sd2e     15.3G   36.5M   14.5G     0%    /var
>

>> To convert "marketing capacity" for a drive (given in "decimal GB") into
>> usable capacity in binary GB (some people call this GiB), use this
>> calculation:
>>
>> (97696368+(1953504*(capacity-50)))/2048
>>
>> (The formula is from IDEMA LBA1-03 plus a conversion from 512-byte LBA
>> blocks to GB)
>>
>> So for 250GB
>>
>> (97696368+(1953504*(250-50)))/2048 = 238475.1796875
>
> Thank you. The issue is that in the bios I see two entries, the entry
> that is listed as
> "Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250 GB (238476 MB)" is sometimes
> automatically selected to boot, the boot process halts with a one line
> "No active partition error. Then I have to get into bios to choose the line
> that says "line No 1:  UEFI OS (samsung SSD EVO 970 Plus 250 GB)" This
> is why I raised the 30 blocks / GB-MB issue.
>

>> Then there's a little extra used for filesystem structures.
>>

>> > It started with the warning:  Not all of the space available to
>> > /dev/nvme0n1 appears to be used, you can fix the GPT to use all the
>> > space (an extra 30 blocks) or
>> > continue with the current setting?
>>
>> 30 blocks is nothing. Leave this alone.
>
> Yes, I will leave the 30 blocks alone.
>>
>> > Does this imply that the 232.89 GiB is OpenBSD area, but somehow with
>> > "no active partition" which is perhaps the reason why there was an
>> > error message during fetch that said /usr directory is low on disk
>> > space ?
>>
>> You filled the partition holding /usr when you ran "make" in
>> /usr/ports/x11/gnome. Remove the build files with "rm -r /usr/ports/pobj"
>> (or remove /usr/ports completely if you don't need it).
>
> Before removing I looked for "pobj" under /usr/ports but did not find it:
>
> bash-5.0$ cd /usr/ports/
> bash-5.0$ ls
> CVS             cad             games           math            print
> Makefile        chinese         geo             meta            productivity
> README          comms           graphics        misc            security
> archivers       converters      infrastructure  multimedia      shells
> astro           databases       inputmethods    net             sysutils
> audio           devel           japanese        news            telephony
> benchmarks      editors         java            plan9           tests
> biology         education       korean          plist           textproc
> books           emulators       lang            ports.pub       www
> bulk            fonts           mail            ports.sec       x11

Not sure what's in ports.pub and ports.sec but those aren't part of the
normal ports tree.. I think you just need to rm -r /usr/ports then,
or move it to another partition (e.g. you could move it to /home/ports
and set PORTSDIR=/home/ports in /etc/mk.conf; do not use a symlink).

> Is there a way of expanding the space in the /usr directory?

If you want that, I can only really suggest reinstalling with different
partition sizes and restore from backups.

It's *possible* to do some rearranging of partitions but it's delicate
and I think you would need to be more familiar enough with OpenBSD to do
that without breaking things.

>> The default auto-partitioning sizes do not give enough space to place
>> ports under /usr and build anything other than the smallest ports.

Normally I create an extra partition for /usr/ports when installing,
probably wants to be at least 10G, or more if you expect to build large
things from ports. But I only do that on machines where I do ports
development, otherwise I just use packages.