On 5/8/2021 6:04 PM, trondd wrote:
On Sat, May 8, 2021 7:58 pm, Scott Vanderbilt wrote:
Apologies if this is a question to which there is an obvious answer, but
I could not find one in the sysupgrade man page,

What is sysupgrade trying to do?  What do you want it to do?

No?  Read it again.  It's not that long.

Another responder politely pointed out I needed to add the -s switch, which in fact eliminated the error.

But your reply seems to imply I'm doing something unreasonable.
I looked at the -s switch in the man page, where it says:

-s      Upgrade to a snapshot. This is the default if the system
        is currently running a snapshot.

I thus disregarded this switch for two reasons:

(1) As I am already running a snapshot (6.9-current as stated in my original post), I concluded that the switch would effectively be a NOOP since it specifically says it's the _default behavior_ under these circumstances.

(2) I've used sysupgrade without the -s switch for years and it's always worked fine.

What is not clear or explained anywhere that I can find is why it behaves differently right now. Notwithstanding your suggestion, reading the man page more than once does not make the answer magically appear.