On 2021-05-09, Scott Vanderbilt <li...@datagenic.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/2021 4:04 AM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> On 2021-05-08, Scott Vanderbilt <li...@datagenic.com> wrote:
>>> Apologies if this is a question to which there is an obvious answer, but
>>> I could not find one in the sysupgrade man page, in the FAQ, or by Googling.
>>>
>>> Is it not possible to do a sysupgrade from 6.9-current to latest using
>>> snapshots at the moment? When I try, I get the following response from
>>> sysupgrade:
>>
>> This can only have happened if you were running a "6.9" kernel and
>> not "6.9-current". You might still have the boot messages to confirm;
>> zgrep OpenBSD /var/log/messages*
>>

> I can assure you with absolute certainty that this machine in question
> was running 6.9-current prior to the attempt to run sysupgrade.

Can you have a look at the shell script which is /usr/sbin/sysupgrade and
see if you can figure out how? It doesn't seem possible to me (unless you're
doing something you didn't mention, like using sysupgrade -r).

> Is it possibly relevant that the upgrade files were "cached" to a host
> on my LAN before the sysupgrade? I typically download all the upgrade
> files to a local machine and sysupgrade that machine first. Then for two
> other machines on my network, I sysupgrade with /etc/installurl pointing
> to my local server. I do this to prevent multiple downloads from the
> OpenBSD servers.

That's not a problem as long as the normal directory structure is used.

> Might having SHA256.sig come from one location while the other upgrade
> files come from a second location possibly confuse sysupgrade?

If SHA256.sig doesn't match the signature of the other files in the
directory then it won't run the update, same as if a snapshot is only
partially updated on a mirror server (which happens sometimes).