ive been running hass on openbsd for a while now, and just did a new
install on 6.9 for my boss on the weekend.

i set up a _hass user for it to run as, and gave it /opt/hass:

hass$ getent passwd _hass
_hass:*:2000:2000:Home Assistant:/opt/hass:/sbin/nologin
hass$ getent group 2000
_hass:*:2000
hass$ ls -ld /opt/hass
drwxr-xr-x  8 _hass  _hass  512 May  8 22:35 /opt/hass

i installed mosquitto, python3.8, py3-virtualenv, py3-pip,
py3-cryptography, py3-Pillow, and py3-zeroconf from ports. then
as the _hass users i set up a venv in /opt/hass with virtualenv
--system-site-packages /opt/hass, did the . /opt/hass/bin/activate
thing, then ran pip install homeassistant.

that got me far enough stuff to be able to start home assistant. you're
on your own after this.

good luck.

dlg