Hi,

For other reason I'm not comfortable pushing that way, capacitors
can give up after quite long time thus I'd probably check for 3-6
years old.

Though I don't apply this to myself, I got a 20+ years Toshiba and
very happy. Except the graphic card gave up so I it runs console,
but I'm still happy with it for it woks well for purposes I need it.

I found out OpenBSD is about the only universally running os, hardly
found hw it could'nt support though as you mentionned peripherals
could be missing.

NB heat is aging faster, so consider underclocking, might not be
popular but I usually do that for this purpose. Laptops can get quite
warm.

J.-François