On 2021-06-29, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mott...@libero.it> wrote:
> I have several ThinkPad of that vintage (T4x, R5x) and they do run
> various opensource OSs very well. The only hardware "support drop" I
> have seen across the board is due to video drivers - but these have
> either Intel or classic ATI which appears to continue to work quite well.
> They are "the best crop" of 32bit Intel Machines.

Chromium built but hasn't run on OpenBSD/i386 for several releases (but
nobody mentioned it until a few months before 6.9 - at which point it
was fixed, worked for a short while, but now it fails to build).

Firefox had been OK up until 6.9 but it no longer builds.

Iridium builds about 70% of the time at the moment on i386; but next
time it's updated to a newwr chromium base that will probably stop too.

You might eke out another release or two with an alternative browser
(maybe qutebrowser) but in general 32-bit x86 is a dead end for this
sort of software.