On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 10:55 AM Theo de Raadt <dera...@openbsd.org> wrote:

> Parodper <parod...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think there should be a prompt in the installer before overwriting the
> > partition tables. The current behavior is, when selecting the whole
> > disk, to overwrite the partition table directly.
>
> Isn't it kind of obvious that selecting the whole disk requires
> overwriting the partition table?
>
> The installer has acted this way for more than 20 years.  It is well
> documented.  Haven't heard a complaint in a decade.  Did you read the
> installation docs?
>
> I doubt other major operating system installers ask you again if you are
> sure you want this hidden but obvious step, so why should our installer?
> Meanwhile, your change probably breaks including auto and templated
> installs -- because a newly introduced question which isn't answered
> will receive \n, and without y\n it fails.
>
> Furthermore I think the whole concept of installing multiple operating
> systems on one disk and multiple-booting is increasingly complex to the
> point of being a waste of time.  Major operating systems don't make it
> trivial.  Why should the smaller systems be held to the standard of
> making it easy?  It is easy to get another machine, or use a virtual
> machine.  Sorry to break the news, but as a rule the most fragile
> configurations of any software are the ones unused by the developers.
> This is definately one.  None of us use multiboot.

my 2 cents here,

I multi booted in 1999 , it's mostly useless this days, as stated above,
if i were in a hurry i would have a usb key with openBSD boolader and
MAYBE a boot.conf
so i ask the BIOS to go boot that ( with f8 or f12 or whatever the
bios provides )

This key can also be used as an emergency tool in case of hard drive failures.

(W)hole disk is quite clear

I wonder if anyone is using XEN this days to have multiple OS

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do