Most PC's have a BIOS boot menu which make it easy to use multiple OSes on
seperate disks. Disks are cheap. Not worth the trouble of bootmanagers.

________________________________
Van: owner-m...@openbsd.org <owner-m...@openbsd.org> namens Theo de Raadt
<dera...@openbsd.org>
Verzonden: maandag 28 juni 2021 16:53
Aan: Parodper <parod...@gmail.com>
CC: misc@openbsd.org <misc@openbsd.org>
Onderwerp: Re: Adding a prompt on the installer before overwriting the
partition table

Parodper <parod...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there should be a prompt in the installer before overwriting the
> partition tables. The current behavior is, when selecting the whole
> disk, to overwrite the partition table directly.

Isn't it kind of obvious that selecting the whole disk requires
overwriting the partition table?

The installer has acted this way for more than 20 years.  It is well
documented.  Haven't heard a complaint in a decade.  Did you read the
installation docs?

I doubt other major operating system installers ask you again if you are
sure you want this hidden but obvious step, so why should our installer?
Meanwhile, your change probably breaks including auto and templated
installs -- because a newly introduced question which isn't answered
will receive \n, and without y\n it fails.

Furthermore I think the whole concept of installing multiple operating
systems on one disk and multiple-booting is increasingly complex to the
point of being a waste of time.  Major operating systems don't make it
trivial.  Why should the smaller systems be held to the standard of
making it easy?  It is easy to get another machine, or use a virtual
machine.  Sorry to break the news, but as a rule the most fragile
configurations of any software are the ones unused by the developers.
This is definately one.  None of us use multiboot.