On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 01:42:41PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Look guys, it's simple.
>
> If you want IPv6 (SLAAC) autoconfiguration, you set "inet6 autoconf"
> for that interface.  slaacd(8) will then automatically handle things.
>
> If you want IPv4 (DHCP) autoconfiguration, you set "inet autoconf"
> for that interface.  dhcpleased(8) will then automatically handle
> things.  If you require special DHCP options that dhcpleased(8)
> doesn't include, then you don't enable autoconfigurarion and run
> dhclient(8) instead, which can be extensively configured.
>
> Both slaacd(8) and dhcpleased(8) pass nameserver information to
> resolvd(8), which adds those nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf unless
> unwind(8) is running.  If you don't want that to happen for some
> other reason, you turn off resolvd(8).
>
> And that's it.

Hi Christian,

Would OpenBSD be interested in a daemon that gets nameserver information from
pppoe0 and passes this nameserver information to resolvd(8)?  Currently there
is no way to do that, so a userland daemon that uses a bpf device to spy on
pppoe(4) may be worthwhile to write?  Is this overcomplicating things?

Let me know what you think about this proposal, I've worked around it for so
long but always wanted to write something like this.  The old userland pppoed
could probably be used for an example, no?

Best Regards,
-peter