Hello,

On systems without an internal clock, I'm trying to understand how
OpenBSD makes a rough time estimation from the previous file system
state, immediately after a reboot.

It seems to be related to inittodr(9) in kern_time.c (seems to be MI in
6.9; earlier octeon releases would say "No TOD clock, believing file
system"), but I'm a bit lost after that.  I couldn't find where/if it's
documented.

I have an EdgeRouter Lite here, and after a reboot and before ntpd is
run, it thinks we're in late July, although I do have more recent file
modifications in /.  Even after touch'ing /, a reboot still issues July
26th by default.  I'm trying to understand what could explain that.

(As for "the problem I'm trying to solve": ERL has no clock, ntpd -s is
gone, but ntpd relies on DNS, and Unbound enables DNSSEC, so this system
is indefinetly stuck between unbound and ntpd errors if I reboot and if
the kernel infers a date that's too far away from now.  I'm trying to
find a way to have something as reliable as ntpd -s used to provide to
work around this, although I'll agree that any clock-less system isn't
reliable in the first place.)

Thank you for any help or guidance on this.