> Am 28.12.2021 um 13:09 schrieb Paul de Weerd <we...@weirdnet.nl>:
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 12:35:07PM +0100, Mike Fischer wrote:
> | So I guess the only way to get a stable IID with dynamic prefixes is
> | to use the eui64 method? (Which is based on the MAC-address and
> | leaks information.)
>
> What information leak are you afraid of?  Someone else knowing the
> MAC-address of your system?  You can fix that by changing the MAC
> address of your interface (see the lladdr option in the ifconfig(8)
> manpage at http://man.openbsd.org/ifconfig#lladdr for details)

Interesting! I hadn’t thought of that.

> | My options for running an OpenBSD server using IPv6 thus seem to be:
> | - Find a provider with static public IPv6 addresses (prefixes)
>
> That would work, but means you have to change providers - is that
> really what you want?  Could be a good message to your current ISP to
> step up their IPv6 game.

It’s more a question of whether I am willing to pay at least 50% more than I’m
paying now for a professional (business) plan instead of a typical (private)
home plan just for the privilege of getting static IPs. As this is mostly for
experimenting and testing I can’t really justify the extra cost. It would be
nice if they offered a (reasonably paid) option to add static IPs to their
private plans though.

> | - Use dynamic IPv6 addresses (prefixes) and eui64 IIDs
>
> Seems like the simplest way, especially using the lladdr option.

Yes, I’ll give that a try.

> | - Use an IPv6 tunnel broker like tunnelbroker.net to tunnel a static
> |   IPv6 address (prefix) through IPv4 (6in4 tunnel)
>
> Seems less useful / efficient, if your provider offers native IPv6.

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks for your input!

Mike