On 1/1/22 3:08 PM, Luke Small wrote:
6 disk raid 10 15000 rpm array (2 mirroring x 3 striping) with a raid card
which can handle a maximum of 8 disks. It didn’t last forever.

mfii0 at pci12 dev 0 function 0 "Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS2208" rev 0x05:
msi
mfii0: "LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i", firmware 23.28.0-0010, 1024MB cache
scsibus2 at mfii0: 64 targets
sd0 at scsibus2 targ 0 lun 0: <LSI, MR9271-8i, 3.40>
naa.600605b00902fb50217c572a11e3e137
sd0: 418464MB, 512 bytes/sector, 857014272 sectors
[...snip...]

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 4:22 AM Crystal Kolipe <kolip...@exoticsilicon.com>
wrote:

On Sat, Jan 01, 2022 at 12:01:28AM -0600, Luke Small wrote:
> The lights on my server which shows that the disks are busy were on and
not
> just flashing and I looked at top and usually it???s because security is
> running, but this time NOTHING! I even killed Firefox and by far the
> busiest thing on there was top! pftop didn???t seem especially busy
either!

From the extremely limited information you've given, it's hard to diagnose
the problem.

In future, please include the output of dmesg and the output of relevant
commands in problem reports.  This answers questions such as: how many
disks are in this server?  Are they part of an array?

Definitely see your problem...most of your dmesg is missing!
(when people ask for a dmesg, it's the entire dmesg, not the chunk YOU
think is interesting)

However, seeing that you have a HW RAID card and an array on it, I'm pretty
sure you WILL be seeing disk activity as the HW RAID card does its things on
the disks with nothing going on at the OS or application level.

Is that ALL you are seeing?  Can't say.  But disk activity on a HW RAID card
is just normal.  Disk activity from processes using very little processor is
also not unexpected, but I'd expect the disk lights on the HW RAID attached
drives to periodically flicker even if sitting at the boot> prompt.

And...if you are running firefox or any other browser, you have a LOT of
packages loaded on your system.  Good luck trying to quiet all of them.
(better idea: don't fight it).

Nick.