Well, I think you should accept that this community features its own
dogmas, like no zfs/hammerfs/ext4/xfs, bsd.rd smallest possible, no
bluetooth, a prehistoric wm in base, and so on. Either you understand it or
quit, because they won't change their minds :(

I also asked for vi years ago and wasn't the first. With vax recently dead,
hppa64 dead and maybe hppa following as well as alpha, i386 which cannot
run a decent modern web browser anymore on most supported hw, the distro is
slowly retiring from retrocomputing hardware, so the need to compress
bsd.rd till death is becoming day by day less relevant.

Nevertheless they have all rights to have their tastes as this is their
playground, so make your platform choice wisely before it comes to disaster
recovery scenarios.

Using openbsd means choosing security and some cutting edge products (e.g.
pf, openssh, etc.), but at the same time coping with the mindset of the
devs, syntaxes changing over time, scarce support from 3rd parts (e.g.
backup software when running as VM) and need to throw lotsa your time in
the thing without specific guarantees that you'll be able to get what you
need.

Personally, having to do many things during the week - and needing products
that "just work" - I am almost not using it in production anymore, but
keeping it as a hobby on some hardware of mine because, after all, it's
still a great piece of software.

If you think ed should be buried down under 10m, like I do, make your own
decisions and stop trying to convince people who don't want to be convinced.

Regards