On 2022-07-06 10:09 +02, Christer Solskogen <christer.solsko...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 9:56 PM Christer Solskogen <
> christer.solsko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Now that dhclient is soon to be gone, I wanted to switch to dhcpleased.
>> But I do have a hard time understanding how I can get that to work together
>> with CARP and ifstated.
>> With dhclient, as soon as the master boots, the backup takes over and get
>> an ip address in an instant from my ISP, but dhcpleased does not. It don't
>> even get an ipaddress unless I run "dhcpleasectl -w 1 <interface>"
>> (dhcpleased runs in the background)
>>

> Okay, I've obviously thought of dhcpleased wrong. Now dhcpleased works in
> the background all the time, and a simple "run ifconfig re0 up" instead of
> starting it in ifstated. But still, it takes 2-3 seconds to get a lease,
> while with dhclient it was instant.

Are you comparing the same thing? I.e. did dhcpleased get a lease before
and does /var/db/dhcpleased/$IF exist?
If it then tries to reaquire a lease it goes REBOOTING -> BOUND which
involves 2 packets, DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACK.
If you did not have a lease before you need to exchange 4 packets which
naturaly takes longer.  I have not found dhcpleased being faster or
slower than dhclient.

--
I'm not entirely sure you are real.