This happens when PHP-FPM can’t find the script to execute.

One reason could be that you fiddled with the settings and let PHP-FPM run
without chroot(2), while httpd(8) is running with chroot(2).

But it might also be a misconfiguration of in httpd.conf. Not sure about all of
the potential reasons but I occasionally see this error as well on a setup
which should be configured correctly. I have not checked wether some spurious
external HTTP requests could be causing this.

My httpd.conf basically looks like this:
server "servername.example.com" {
    …
    location "*.php" {
        fastcgi socket "/run/php-fpm.sock"
    }
}

It’s a bit sad that these logs don’t contain timestamps. Makes matching against
access logs harder.

HTH
Mike