Thanks for your response.

I am not intending to switch the machine. In terms of resources, I am mainly
concerned about hard drives and cpu being worn down unnecessarily. I am not
sure how much of a concern this should be though.

Yes, I do know in advance when the machine needs to run and when it can sleep.

"Some machines have a wake option in their BIOS." -> thanks for the pointer, I
will look into that.

"How much electricity have you saved by that?" -> I don't know. The main
concern is not using the hardware unnecessarily, to hopefully increase its
lifetime. Though less electricity usage is a nice side bonus.

"How much resources would that save?" -> My thoughts was that it would be
better for hard drive longevity to have them spun down, rather than them being
up for months without any access needed. I don't know in practice if that
matters for life expectancy of the drive?