> On 27 Nov 2022, at 17:28, Jan Stary <h...@stare.cz> wrote:
>
> On Nov 27 17:10:11, mytraddr...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I am not intending to switch the machine.
>
> Why?

It is just not an option for this specific project.

>> In terms of resources, I am mainly concerned about hard drives
>> and cpu being worn down unnecessarily. I am not sure how much
>> of a concern this should be though.
>
> The CPU is not being "worn down" by running.
>
> As for rotating metal disks, they have a lifetime;
> that's why replacing them with SSD might be your best bet.

In the case of an SDD, is there no consideration of turning them off, if they
are unused for some time?
In the case of HDD, are you saying that putting them in "spun down" mode
actually would not increase their lifetime?

> But even regular disks are dirt cheap now.
> I don't believe this concern is even worth the time spent on this.
>
>> Yes, I do know in advance when the machine needs to run and when it can
>> sleep.
>
> Then you can set a wakeup alarm in the BIOS (if it has one),
> and simply shutdown -p via cron, at the appropriate time.

Ok, thanks for that. I will explore whether the bios has a wake alarm

>> "How much resources would that save?" -> My thoughts was that
>> it would be better for hard drive longevity to have them spun down,
>> rather than them being up for months without any access needed.
>
> Wait, so you know in advance for how many _months_
> the machine can sleep?

Yes...