Crystal,

I really appreciate the detailed explanations
and step by step instructions.
I was able to follow everything without a problem
and was able to finally access the python file from a web browser.

On Monday, December 19th, 2022 at 11:07 AM, Crystal Kolipe
<kolip...@exoticsilicon.com> wrote:

> # mkdir /var/www/usr/local/lib/pyton3.9
> # mkdir /var/www/usr/local/include/pyton3.9

A slight correction to the lines above
in case anyone comes across this in the future.
The above lines should be:
  mkdir -p /var/www/usr/local/lib/python3.9
  mkdir -p /var/www/usr/local/include/python3.9

> The /var/www/usr/local/lib path is not being searched for dynamic
> libraries when you try to run the python interpreter within the
> chroot. The easiest way to 'make it work' is to move the files
> you just copied to /var/www/usr/local/lib/ to /var/www/usr/lib/
> instead.

I think the first sentence makes sense to me.
While trying to search for a solution to the 'ld.so' error,
a lot of the solutions recommended two possible solutions.
The first was to add '/var/www/usr/local/lib'
to the library search path with
'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/var/www/usr/local/lib'.
The second was to attempt the same thing with
'ldconfig /var/www/usr/local/lib'.
Neither of these seemed to work, so not sure why.
Also, I don't really understand why your solution worked.

> The first thing to understand is that there are several ways to
> do what you want to do. Quite a lot of different ways, actually.

> That's ONE way of doing it. Definitely NOT the best way for a
> real application, but if you're just learning this then it's
> probably the easiest^Wleast difficult way in.

> Putting python in the chroot is ONE way of doing it.
>
> It's not the best way in general. But it might be the best way for
> you, if you're trying to get an introduction to doing these things.

I understand why putting python(1) in chroot is a bad idea.
Therefore, what are the other possible options?
When I was searching online,
I couldn't find anything that didn't involve
moving python(1) into chroot,
so I'm not sure how to even find another possible solution,
let alone a list of them analyzing the pros and cons of each.

Again, I really appreciate your help.
With it working now, I can start writing some python web apps.
Just to be clear, this will not be on a production machine.
It's on a non-networked machine
that I'm just using to learn that has a web browser installed.
However, even though my problem has been solved,
I'd like to understand the proper way to configure this.