On 2023-01-03, Nathan Carruth <n.carr...@alum.utoronto.ca> wrote:
> I am with you 100% on backups. My real question was, How
> does one backup crypto volume metadata? Given that
> it can be backed up, clearly it should be, but there is no
> information in any of the cited documentation as to where
> the metadata is or how to back it up.

There doesn't seem to be much point in backing up *just* the metadata,
how will that help you get data back?

I think your options to backup the encrypted data are:

- backup from the mounted filesystem using some  backup tool that has a
way to encrypt.

There's a wide choice of backup software, including borg and restic,
that do this in a nice way, that will also allow cross-OS restores if
needed, restoring individual files, etc. You can also use e.g. dump
or tar, piping the output through an encryption tool before storing.

- backup the whole disk partition/s e.g. with dd.

This might be a bit impractical as to keep things consistent I think
you'll want to unmount, detach the softraid device, backup, reattach,
remount. Restoration is much more fiddly too. Additionally this isn't
designed as an archival format; it would seem that it will be much more
fragile.