On 2023-01-06, Tomaž Kokolj <tomaz.kok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Work week is over and I have time to play with real hardware.
> Just wanted to let you know that this configuration did work:
>
> # cat /etc/hostname.re0
> inet autoconf lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55
>
> # ifconfig re0
> re0: flags=808843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,AUTOCONF4> mtu 1500
>         lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55
>         index 1 priority 0 llprio 3
>         groups: egress
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
>         status: active
>         inet 192.168.0.208 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 192.168.255.255
>
> But it did not work within VirtualBox.
> Possibly a bug?

I don't know VirtualBox but it is fairly common for virtualisation
software to prevent MAC address changes, there's often a setting
to permit it, look for something like "allow MAC address changes"
or "allow MAC spoofing" in either VM or virtual switch config,
you might also find some settings relating to promiscuous mode
which may also be needed in some cases.