Hi Austin,

Quiet for many years. Nice to see you again from the time of CD Sales, etc. (;

You are 100% correct that the sysupgrade kick ass big time!

Anyway, just one thing on your upgrade and all.

Not sure if your version 6.8 was also an upgrade form before or a clean install.

The reason I am thinking and asking about it, is that on 6.7 the default file system was changed from FFS1 to FFS2 and I see that you resize some partition and also did newfs on some of them.

So, I may be off here and it is a question as well if I am wrong to know. But you may have a mix of FFS1 and FFS2 partition now. I really don't know if using newfs would create FFS2 on your system if it was an upgrade from older version BEFORE the 6.7 keeping the FFS1 type.

Now may be in a decade or what not, may be FFS will be drop. I really don't know. But when/if that happen, then may be a system could be not usable. Just speculate here.

But also I wonder IF now you may have a mix of FFS1 and FSS2 partitions as well, possibly create issue if the system needs to clean up partition on lost of power and check each one?

Some more knowledgeable would know for sure.

So if that's NOT using FFS2 type, the new defaults, it may be wise to re-install. I know, we all try to avoid that when possible and sysupgrade is a welcome tools to not have to do this.

I just wonder if by may be upgraded older version of 6.7 before and now do the full upgrade to 7.4 and specially have resize partition and used newfs, IF you may have a mix of FFS1 and FFS2 on your drive and IF that may not create issue in the future?

Run good now obviously, just wonder down the road. Always better to eliminate issues before they show up.

One way to know if to simply check and see.

Here example form two different system using FFS1 and FFS2, and you can check individual partitions to see as well like below:

The rsd3a below is your drive and here it is a softraid as well, but you know from checking your system what partitions you have:

$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd3a      509M   74.8M    409M    15%    /
/dev/sd3j      206G   98.7G   96.8G    51%    /home
/dev/sd3d     1001M    106K    950M     0%    /tmp
/dev/sd3g      2.0G    368M    1.5G    19%    /usr
/dev/sd3h     1001M    200M    750M    21%    /usr/X11R6
/dev/sd3i      9.8G    207M    9.1G     2%    /usr/local
/dev/sd3e      9.8G    267M    9.1G     3%    /var
/dev/sd3f     1001M   16.2M    934M     2%    /var/log

And you can check the default file system use as below.

May be, I don't know if that's possible to have a mix after you do a newfs on your resize partitions, but I thought that may be it might be useful in the future in case some weird issues comes up because of it and pointing out that may be a clean install may be safer ONLY because of the default changed in 6.7 from FFS1 to FFS2.

$ doas dumpfs /dev/rsd3a | head -1
magic   11954 (FFS1)    time    Wed Nov 15 01:31:12 2023
$ doas dumpfs /dev/rsd3d | head -1
magic   11954 (FFS1)    time    Wed Nov 15 18:27:56 2023
$ doas dumpfs /dev/rsd3e | head -1
magic   11954 (FFS1)    time    Wed Nov 15 18:43:30 2023
$ doas dumpfs /dev/rsd3f | head -1
magic   11954 (FFS1)    time    Wed Nov 15 18:40:29 2023
$ doas dumpfs /dev/rsd3g | head -1
magic   11954 (FFS1)    time    Sat Nov 11 03:30:14 2023
$ doas dumpfs /dev/rsd3h | head -1
magic   11954 (FFS1)    time    Sat Nov 11 03:30:22 2023

Or on a new installed one, not use for anything, and small drive as well here, but ready to be in case it's needed for something in emergency.

ready-0-75$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a      492M   62.6M    405M    14%    /
/dev/wd0i     52.3G    2.0K   49.7G     1%    /free
/dev/wd0h      986M   22.0K    937M     1%    /home
/dev/wd0d      986M   10.0K    937M     1%    /tmp
/dev/wd0g      4.8G    1.1G    3.5G    24%    /usr
/dev/wd0e      9.7G    8.0M    9.2G     1%    /var
/dev/wd0f      986M   35.1M    902M     4%    /var/log

Checking the file system use here will show you the FFS2 type.

ready-0-75$ doas dumpfs /dev/rwd0a | head -1
magic   19540119 (FFS2) time    Wed Nov 15 18:55:57 2023
ready-0-75$ doas dumpfs /dev/rwd0d | head -1
magic   19540119 (FFS2) time    Wed Nov 15 18:55:45 2023

... etc for each partitions.

May be this is absolutely nothing, or may be it could become something in the future. I don't know. I would be curious to know anyway.

But you can sure do a quick test like above and see for sure.

And may be someone with more knowledge might chime in to say, this is stupid form me to worry about, or may be there might be something down the road as well. I learn long ago to try to think of what might happen and prepare for it, oppose to try to fix what happened and be stuck. (;

Just thought to send you this as I saw your emails and your help in the pass was GREATLY appreciated and the minimum I could do is just say hi, if nothing else. (;

And may be this might make a different for you now, or in the future, or not.

I would be curios anyway to know for sure if your resize of partition and the use of newfs, if your system was using FFS1 created them as the new default as FFS2?

May be if it was a continuous upgrade from before 6.7, you might have a mix of partition types now. It's not like the system can't support different partition type anyway. But something to may be think about just in case and the pros/cons of each one.

Thanks,

Daniel