Just finished the series of incremental upgrades of my farmhouse "home
office" system from 6.8 to 7.4.

Finally am current for the first time in years!  And I am amazed and
grateful for the all the incredible work the developers and leadership
have done.  The sysupgrade process got smoother and smother with each
incremental release.

I had been used to the gotchas in the upgrading process from years ago,
even though the sysupgrade method had well become the norm by 6.8.  I
still was a bit too gun shy to upgrade for some years, since I normally
have so little time to really dig into the inner workings of OpenBSD to
figure out gotchas at upgrade time.

The only scary point was when after one of the upgrades, a "pkg_add -u"
overfilled my /usr/local and the process aborted before finishing.

So I did a bit of searching and found an article on reddit addressing that
problem by deleting the /src and /obj partitions (i and j, I think they
were), which follow /usr/local (partition h), and then expanding
/usr/local.

/src and /obj are not necessary unless one is recompiling the system.
Regretted a bit, seeing them go, but all these years, never really had the
time to dig as deep into OpenBSD as I would have wished.

The article suggested, doing a "df", then doing the arithmetic on the
sizes of i and j and adding the freed space to h, using disklabel
carefully.  Nest step was to be doing a "growfs" on h.  But the latter
didn't work for me, for reasons I wasn't able to quickly figure out.

For many years I only did any kind of backup using tar and ./tgz's, and
never had learned to do dump and restore.  But it looked like it was time
to learn how to use dump and restore now, and then dump /usr/local onto a
big additional partition I usually add to my install which I call
/backups.

Thank goodness for the age of terabyte hard drives.  Could have mounted a
USB hard drive, and used that instead, but there was room enough in my
extra partition, so long as I didn't screw up everything, like the whole
partition table on disk!

Anyway, so I did that, just deleted /usr/local and rebuilt it with
disklabel and the greater size parameter. Then I made it pristine with a
newfs.  Next step was to "restore" the dump I had made.

Wow, that works great.  I didn't realize that it would preserve all the
links as well.  What did I ever do without it!

OK, so back to restarting "pkg_add -u"  and let 'er rip.

Seemed to Work!

Continued the incremental sysupgrades.

Now I am running 7.4 happily.  Did an df and see that /usr/local is filled
to 89%.  Obviously I should spend some time deleting packages I no longer
use.

Only thing that disappoints me it that it looks like, from the package
update process, that maxima is discontinued.  It was the one package I
most rely on, for doing math for my studies of quantum computing.  I'll
dig deeper later.

One little glitch from all the process is that somehow I must have lost a
file or failed to delete a file that has something to do the default
character set files or pointers for xterm under "fvwm".  A new xterm
starts automatically in a super super small font.  Can't even read it.
Control-right-mouse on an xterm gives the menu for selecting the font size
and also the choice of using Truetype fonts, which works, OK, but I have
to do it each time I open a new xterm.

I also notice that when I start up xclock, it also comes up with a very
tiny font to small to read.  I usually call it up with:

xclock -d -render -twelve -strftime "%A %d %

and put it at the top right hand corner of my big screen.

Maybe now I have to to add a parameter for the font size or something.
Perhaps something similar for xterm itself.  Will have a little extra job
to figure what that's all about, and also to perhaps to change some
defaults for xterm.

Other than that, everything else seems to work perfectly!

Now I can do the same in downtown Milk River.  Still have what remains of
the Computer Shop of Calgary working there, and my mail server is there
too.  Looks like that might be a bit more touchy with a number changes to
the SMPT driver and setup.  But I guess I can deal with it.

Thanks guys!

Austin