On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:25:22 -0300
Crystal Kolipe <kolip...@exoticsilicon.com> wrote:
> We have been doing "something similar", in fact much simpler, on
> OpenBSD and other unix-like systems for > 25 years.
>
> It's trivially simple to protect your data, and you along with
> 99.999% of other people seem to be over thinking it.
>
> 1. Once data is no longer "work in progress", archive it to write-only
>    media and take it out of the regular backup loop.  In most cases
> this drastically reduces the volume of data you need to manage.  Feel
> free to keep a local on-line copy on a regular disk too for faster
> access.
>
> 2. Write scripts to copy data that matters elsewhere automatically.
> This can be another drive in the local machine, or even another
> partition on the same disk.  This takes the place of your "RAID-1 or
> RAID-5", and is much, much less error-prone because it's just copying
> files around.
>
> 3. Write a script to verify the copy with the original version and
>    highlight changes.  (Ours is 18 lines of shell script.)
>
> 4. Write a script to create and verify a file of checksums in the
> current directory.  (Also not complicated - ours is 15 lines of shell
> script.)
>
> We have kept many Tb of data intact and free of bitrot for decades
> using simple methods like this.  No need for fancy filesystems or
> command line parity tools, just use tar, sha256 and crucially a
> little bit of intelligence, and the problem is solved.
>
> And yes, we have certainly seen bitflips when reading from disk,
> reading from SSDs, (which overall seem _worse_ for random unreported
> bit flipping), and also bad system RAM which causes data in the
> buffer cache to be corrupted.  All of these threats are easily
> mitigated with tar and sha256, and the aforementioned application of
> some intelligence to the problem.
>
> The only problem is that it doesn't have a flashy name like "ZFS".

Thank you for this super interesting answer! I am very much for
functional simplicity over complexity one does not understand.

Presently, I use a script, utilising rsync, for fast backups and sync
diffs, but I'd like a more long-term reliable and checksummed solution.

Would you mind sharing the scripts you mentioned for us newbies?

Some additional portability rant:

Does anyone recommend FAT32-formatted 1 TB external HDDs for
OS-portable backups (using archive splitting to bypass the 4 GB limit)?
I've heard FAT32 is very inefficient with big partitions. I currently
have a mess of ext4 for Linux, ZFS (yes ...) for FreeBSD, and nothing
yet for OpenBSD (sadly, my favourite OS does not support redshift on my
Nvidia card, and that is a requirement for my eyes).