On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 08:23:40PM +0100, i...@tutanota.com wrote:
> > Once data is no longer "work in progress", archive it to write-only
> > media and take it out of the regular backup loop.
>
> What kind of write-only media do you use/recommend?

It depends on quite a few factors including the quantity of data you need to
backup, and how much you are prepared to spend on equipment and media.

For a home or small office user, the most accessible in terms of cost, and
useful in terms of capacity WORM device is probably a bluray disc recorder.

There are certainly other options, including, (much), more expensive optical
disc formats such as Archival Disc, and certain LTO tapes which are not really
WORM in the strictest sense but for most purposes behave like it.

But if you just want to "dip your toes" in to keeping physical copies of
valuable data on a disc that can't be overwritten by software and isn't
subject to the same hazards as magnetic media, then BD-R is probably the best
way in to that.

And speaking from experience, it's _much_ more reliable than DVD-R or CD-R as
long as the discs are correctly written in the first place.

If you search around the internet, you'll easily find a lot of negative
commentary about BD-R from people who _don't use it_.  In my experience it
works quite well, and certainly can be used on OpenBSD machines with little
difficulty.

(BD-RW can even be written as a regular block device, and doesn't require
 special writing software, but that's not WORM media.)

Oh, and punched aluminuimised tape is also quite a good choice for small
files.  That'll outlast practically anything else.