On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 12:03 PM Michael Hekeler <mich...@hekeler.com> wrote:

> > > To be honest I don't understand the problem you described.
> >
> > It is simple, when you come from Android (tested Android 11 tablet) with
> > file names exceeding the FAT spec
> > these are cut to 8.3 format in OpenBSD.
>

> You mean android allows to create filenames >255 on FAT32?
> Then you should report this non-compliance on android
> (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/filesystem-functionality-comparison#limits)

That table is pretty vague, maybe there's a byte-vs-character bug
somewhere in the chain. If "255 Unicode characters" is taken to be 255
codepoints, how are they encoded? Digging around a little more shows
that they probably mean "255 UCS-2 words".

Wonder if OP is  actually seeing more than 255 unique "User-perceived
characters" or just more than 255 bytes?