On Sun, Mar 03, 2024 at 12:14:14PM -0000, beecdadd...@danwin1210.de wrote:
> On Sun, March 3, 2024 12:07 pm, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 03, 2024 at 12:01:12PM -0000, beecdadd...@danwin1210.de
> > wrote:
> >

> >> oh okay reserved for root? I ran those commands as root, or you mean
> >> something else? I didn't know overhead was that big.. so this is okay,
> >> then? thanks for very fast reply
> >
> > 3.5G meta data overhead is less than 1.5% of your partition. Not that
> > high, I'd say.
>
> 235-223 is 8G, not 3.5G?
>
> > Only root processes can write crossing the reserved space limit. The
> > disk will than show a Capacity number larger than 100%.
>
> so root process, not root user? ok
>
> > Non-root proceses will see failed writes.
> >

> > You can change that 5% by using tunefs, or when doing newfs from the
> > start).
> >
> > -Otto
>
> newfs from the start? I did newfs from the start?
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidcrypto
> is this not what you mean by newfs from the start?

No. He means by specifying the -m option when running newfs(8). See the
man page for newfs(8).
(You probably don't want to DO that (give non-root processes access to
fill up every last free sector of your disk) but you CAN..)

Also, by running disklabel and df with the -h option, you get sizes in
"human readable format" which doesn't neccessarily give you an accurate
understandig of your disks and partitions.
The "real" or "underlying" unit is sectors, which you will see if you
run df(1) and disklabel(8) without -f.

Regards,

Erling