Hello,

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:21:40PM +0100, Luca Losio wrote:
> I read the faq searching for info about pppoa
> (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html) :
>
> "The main software interface to PPPoE/PPPoA on OpenBSD is pppoe(8),
> which is a userland implementation (in much the same way that we
> described ppp(8), above)"
>
> but I can't figure out how to configure it for a ppp over ATM
> connection. Anyone can help? I don't want to have a double NAT, one
> from the adsl modem and one from the OpenBSD gateway...

I have a Dlink 4-port ADSL modem, I forget the the product code. IIRC it
won't work with the 1-port version. I use the pppoe kernel driver and my
modem does the ATM part. It works very well, I've been running it since
september 2005.

My ADSL connection is PPPoA only, which is just PPPoE with ATM. They
work at different layers so if you bridge your adsl modem and handle
only the ATM part, then openbsd pppoe can do the rest. So this means
your ADSL modem will have no public facing IP and reconnecting to it may
be tricky once you have set it up. So be careful how you set it up. Then
you can setup your openbsd box to suit your needs removing a potentially
buggy adsl modem firewall out of the loop.

Now if you've got a block of IPs and your running them on red and dmz
segments things can get very messy if you don't want to waste IPs.
Running a bridge on the internal interfaces seems to do the job best,
you can't include the pppoe device, and including the underlying
ethernet card isn't going to work as one might expect. But the pppoe
device and the bridge seem to interact fine.

Enjoy :)

Dan