On 30/09/2026 15:48, Sven F. wrote:
> https://man.openbsd.org/syspatch

Thanks. I'm already using syspatch(8), so I know how an errata is applied.

My question is about the timing: why the nsd security releases 4.14.3 (Jun 25) 
and 4.15.1 (Aug 26) did not become errata for 7.9 earlier, and what triggered 
errata 022 now.

G

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 8:25 AM Kapetanakis Giannis
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We rely on nsd and unbound from base for our DNS infrastructure, so I'd like 
>> to understand how updates to them are handled for -stable.
>>
>> Errata 022 for 7.9 updates nsd to 4.15.2, from 4.14.2 as shipped with 7.9, 
>> if I read it correctly.
>> Upstream, in the meantime, there were:
>>
>> - NSD 4.14.3 security release (Jun 25)
>> - NSD 4.15.0 release (Jul 7)
>> - NSD 4.15.1 security release (Aug 26)
>> - NSD 4.15.2 release (Sep 2)
>>
>> I'm asking because OpenBSD usually gets security fixes out very quickly, so 
>> the gap here surprised me.
>>
>> I'm not complaining or demanding anything, I'd just like to understand the 
>> process: how does the project decide when nsd/unbound security releases 
>> become an errata, and what led to doing it now rather than with 4.14.3 or 
>> 4.15.1?
>> Or was it something in 4.15.2, rather than the earlier CVEs, that triggered 
>> it?
>>
>> Knowing this would help us plan (e.g. whether to track upstream ourselves 
>> for these daemons).
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Giannis
>>
>> ps: Stuart, none of this is aimed at you. My question is about the process, 
>> not the people doing the work. Much respect for everything you do for 
>> OpenBSD, not only nsd and unbound.
>>
>>
>>

Reply via email to