Am 30.09.2026 um 22:14 schrieb Stuart Henderson:
> On 2026-09-30, Christian Schulte <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Am 30.09.2026 um 18:32 schrieb H. Hartzer:
>>> I think this is largely a hardware support thing and you'll have a range
>>> of supported speeds. Like you might have 800MHz, 1200MHz, 1800MHz, and
>>> finally 2200MHz.
>> It is. I failed to find a way to program the hardware clock generators
>> in any way to accomplish this. It's like soldering a different quartz
>> onto the PCB. I understand that.
>>
>> Maybe I need to explain what made me ask for this. Timeouts used by e.g.
>> cnd_timedwait or pthreads_cond_timedwait and functions like those
>> internally use CLOCK_REALTIME or CLOCK_MONOTONIC. The issue with this is
>> that those clocks advance "in hardware". It can well happen that the
>> scheduler never provided any compute to a thread waiting on some
>> condition so that the condition may well time out, although the waiting
>> thread never got scheduled in between - so to say. I am having a hard
>> time setting up some environment I can use to reliable test this.
> 
> not entirely reliable, but maybe run some stress processes (in ports;
> e.g. in malloc mode might be good) or just a bunch of md5 -tttt to try
> to starve it of cpu?

It's not about starving the CPU. That would be easy. It's about
functions taking e.g. a struct timespec to specify some absolute timeout
value using a "hardware" definition of what is a second and what is a
nanosecond completely independent of what the scheduler "thinks" is a
second or a nanosecond. There is no way to specify relative timeouts,
though. I am a bit lost here, I admit.

Regards,
-- 
Christian


Reply via email to