Thx to all, I had always the possibility to restore from the backup stick so 
not a big deal..if not my initiative to investigate how to restore single 
corrupted packages files in /usr/local and leaving you some inputs by this list.

I'm intrigued more about /usr/local/sync.. what is it exactly ?

dan

From: Stuart Henderson <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Date: Oct 5, 2026 12:18:05
Subject: Re: Recover after a sudden system halt

> On 2026-10-04, Matti Andreas Kähäri <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 04, 2026 at 11:47:19AM +0930, Phil Maker wrote:
>>> FWIW,
>>> 
>>> The output of pkg_info can be feed into pkg_add so
>>> you could perhaps keep the pkg_info output and use that
>>> for a rebuild, then do an update. Anyways what I think you want
>>> is there pkg_* but I could a tool in rust to do it.
>> 
>> pkg_info -mz >list
>> pkg_add -l list
>> 
>> ... as documented in pkg_add(1)
>> 
>> https://man.openbsd.org/pkg_add.1#l
> 
> Also, if you suspect corruption in the package database itself, you
> can find copies saved by security(8) from the most two recent updates
> to the list of installed packages in /var/backups/pkglist.backup and
> pkglist.current. It's not in the "pkg_info -z" format but iirc
> pkg_add -z should still be able to cope.
> 
> If there's major corruption in /usr/local I suggest you really want
> to recreate the filesystem from scratch. Save the list of packages,
> remove all packages as best you can with pkg_delete, check for anything
> remaining important in /usr/local, unmount and newfs the device for
> /usr/local, do an "update" install of OpenBSD to reinstate missing dirs,
> then reinstall packages.

Reply via email to