On Thu, Oct 08, 2026 at 09:55:33PM +0200, 山卡洛 wrote:
> Got it: while "roaming", the soft RAID partition metadata appears to have 
> been overwritten.
> Specifically, BIOC_SCBOOTABLE is unset, as shown in /softraid_amd64.c in 
> srprobe():
>                 if (bv->sbv_state != BIOC_SVOFFLINE)
>                         printf(" sr%d%s", bv->sbv_unit,
>                             bv->sbv_flags & BIOC_SCBOOTABLE ? "*" : "");
> which appears to be called from efiboot.c.
> 
> When I boot, offered are:
> 
> disk: hd0 hd1 sr0* sr1
> 
> meaning that sr1 has lost the bootable flag.
> 
> Now: how do i set this flag on that RAID partition on the external disk? 
> Bioctl is not able to set it.
> Any ideas?
> 
> On 26-10-08.15:11, 山卡洛 wrote:
> > I installed OpenBSD on an external drive with FDE and password (not
> > keydisk). The use case is to check if a new notebook is supported (it is
> > not).
> > 
> > After trying to boot on that new notebook, the external drive doesn't boot
> > anymore. The encrypted partition is not recognized by the boot loader: it
> > doesn't ask for a password. Yet, I can decrypt and mount that disk from my
> > regular OpenBSD with no problems.
> > 
> > I can force the boot loader to open the encrypted drive by booting
> > sr1a:/bsd. The kernel boots and fails to find a root partition. I tried to
> > make it ask for the root partition (boot sr1a:/bsd -a), but it doesn't see
> > it: it only offers sd0 (the encrypted NVME) and sd1 (the encrypted SSD).
> > 
> > I also tried to run installboot from my regular system against the opened
> > and mounted SSD: didn't change anything. Any ideas what went wrong?
> > 
> > The information from bioctl -v and disklabel -h doesnt help: everything
> > looks good.
> > 
> > Thank you.
> 

Weird.  Running installboot on the decrypted volume always worked for
me.  I.e., if sd0 is the physical drive (encrypted), I assemble the
decrypted volume with bioctl, and then run installboot on the resulting
volume (e.g. sd1).

-- 
 

Reply via email to