I find it weird that it worked for you. installboot doesn't set the BIOC_SCBOOTABLE flag. Confirm by rg BIOC_SCBOOTABLE /usr/src/ .
I also used the hex dump to confirm, as suggested by Crystal. Unfortunately, her suggestion of using a hex editor has no chance. There is a checksum in softraidvar.h: sr_metadata.ssd_checksum, right near sr_metadata._sdd_invariant.ssd_vol_flags, where the BIOC_SCBOOTABLE flag apparently resides. On Thu, Oct 8, 2026 at 10:49 PM Zé Loff <[email protected]> wrote: > On Thu, Oct 08, 2026 at 09:55:33PM +0200, 山卡洛 wrote: > > Got it: while "roaming", the soft RAID partition metadata appears to > have been overwritten. > > Specifically, BIOC_SCBOOTABLE is unset, as shown in /softraid_amd64.c in > srprobe(): > > if (bv->sbv_state != BIOC_SVOFFLINE) > > printf(" sr%d%s", bv->sbv_unit, > > bv->sbv_flags & BIOC_SCBOOTABLE ? "*" : ""); > > which appears to be called from efiboot.c. > > > > When I boot, offered are: > > > > disk: hd0 hd1 sr0* sr1 > > > > meaning that sr1 has lost the bootable flag. > > > > Now: how do i set this flag on that RAID partition on the external disk? > > Bioctl is not able to set it. > > Any ideas? > > > > On 26-10-08.15:11, 山卡洛 wrote: > > > I installed OpenBSD on an external drive with FDE and password (not > > > keydisk). The use case is to check if a new notebook is supported (it > is > > > not). > > > > > > After trying to boot on that new notebook, the external drive doesn't > boot > > > anymore. The encrypted partition is not recognized by the boot loader: > it > > > doesn't ask for a password. Yet, I can decrypt and mount that disk > from my > > > regular OpenBSD with no problems. > > > > > > I can force the boot loader to open the encrypted drive by booting > > > sr1a:/bsd. The kernel boots and fails to find a root partition. I > tried to > > > make it ask for the root partition (boot sr1a:/bsd -a), but it doesn't > see > > > it: it only offers sd0 (the encrypted NVME) and sd1 (the encrypted > SSD). > > > > > > I also tried to run installboot from my regular system against the > opened > > > and mounted SSD: didn't change anything. Any ideas what went wrong? > > > > > > The information from bioctl -v and disklabel -h doesnt help: everything > > > looks good. > > > > > > Thank you. > > > > Weird. Running installboot on the decrypted volume always worked for > me. I.e., if sd0 is the physical drive (encrypted), I assemble the > decrypted volume with bioctl, and then run installboot on the resulting > volume (e.g. sd1). > > -- > >

