On Fri Oct 9, 2026 at 10:34 PM BST, hmjsp wrote:
> On Mon Oct 5, 2026 at 6:21 PM BST, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>>> d. lastly, and kind of off topic, but how can I check if overclocking in
>>>    config.txt has actually worked from within OpenBSD?
>>
>> compare 'md5 -ttt' times or something?
> seems like config.txt is not working?
> a trial with over_voltage=6 and arm_freq=2000:
> MD5 time trial.  Processing 1000000 10000-byte blocks...
> Digest = f0843f04c524250749d014a8152920ec
> Time   = 96.000000 seconds
> Speed  = 104166666.666667 bytes/second
>
> empty config.txt:
> MD5 time trial.  Processing 1000000 10000-byte blocks...
> Digest = f0843f04c524250749d014a8152920ec
> Time   = 96.490000 seconds
> Speed  = 103637682.661416 bytes/second
>
> trying empty again:
> MD5 time trial.  Processing 1000000 10000-byte blocks...
> Digest = f0843f04c524250749d014a8152920ec
> Time   = 96.450000 seconds
> Speed  = 103680663.556247 bytes/second
>
> the difference is negligible if at all present... what's up? is it a
> u-boot thing? surely going from 1.5GHz to 2GHz wouldn't shave off *only*
> 0.45 seconds?
I think I figured out what's wrong; namely that u-boot and/or OpenBSD
can't do frequency scaling. I'm aware the OpenBSD *can* do it, but it
seems to not be able to on the Pi 4, especially as there is no
hw.cpuspeed on Pi 4. I set force_turbo=1 in config.txt and got
significantly better times:
MD5 time trial.  Processing 1000000 10000-byte blocks...
Digest = f0843f04c524250749d014a8152920ec
Time   = 28.780000 seconds
Speed  = 347463516.330785 bytes/second

I could test the default clock too but I need my uptime :')

Reply via email to