On 5/3/06, Will H. Backman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm looking for some hints on evaluating load average.  I have a new
system that is showing load averages over .50 most of the time, but I
don't see that it is doing much according to systat vmstat.  I figured
that this machine would be way overpowered for the job it is doing.
Is load average (like what is displayed in uptime) really a good
indicator?

i never look at load; it's meaningless.  watching vmstat, iostat and
netstat all with -w 1 is probably much more informative.